Monday, May 2, 2011

M's Vacation in...Taipei, Taiwan (part 1)!

Happy Monday everyone! How was your weekend? I had a pretty busy one, socially. But absolutely unproductive in terms of workwise. Oh wells. Nevertheless, I shall try and be rid of the holiday mood by posting about my Taipei trip with the family over the Easter break!

Garden Hotel Taipei provided us with comfortable and reasonably big rooms for our five/six nights there. I would not hesitate to stay there again where service was good and pretty convenient with Xi Men Ding about 15 minutes walk awayand a 5 minute walk to the Xiao Nan Men metro-train station.

We managed to hire a six-seater cab with a lovely uncle as a 'tourguide' for three days. IT costs us about NTD8000 which is very reasonable. He brought us to as far as Yangmingshan and Jiu Fen. Jiu Fen is worthwhile to head to with so much food and shops to look at. Go early to avoid big tour groups.

Yummy smelly tofu in Jiu Fen.

Pineapple tarts, handmade and fresh in Jiu Fen. I can still smell the butter and pineapple.

Yang Ming Shan, still showing little signs of Spring.

Fields of Calla Lilies.

We also visited Dan Shui for abit but not long. And my favourite part of it is this: a Spongebob Squarepants egg-cake stall! Playing 'Who Lives in a Pineapple under the Sea' over and over, in Mandarin and English.

We ended the second night of our trip at Shi Da night market, where the crepes stall drew long queue and a big crowd. I also found a lovely hairdresser there, Addy who gave me a rather controversial haircut. Nothing fancy, I requested for it anyway. But I got mixed reviews.

Third day, we had to visit the very first original Din Tai Fung shop ever, which gave the world one of the best xiao long baos.

We also ordered Taiwan Dou Miao which is so worth the rather high price.

The la mian is also better than other international Din Tai Fungs. There is a soft bite to it, and made with more 'love'.

I ATE TEN OF THESE. YES.

We also went to Wu Fen Pu, the wholesale market for clothes etc. I don't find anything too 'cheap' there or bargain buys. I was sorely disappointed and would say we are better off shopping at night markets where you can find same or similar stuff.

It is not considered a first Taipei trip if you don't visit the Taipei 101 building.

The screen in the lift taking you up to Level 89 of the building. The red dot moves as you ascend/descend.



Beautiful ceiling in the lift where 'shooting stars' fly above your heads.

Yes, it was THAT fast.

Our hilarious photoshoot! So worth the NTD650.

Mum wanted to head to Jian Guo Hua Shi where they sell flowers and jade to get something. Across the jade market, there is this unassuming barbecue stall. Authentic Hong Kong style, and there is a long queue. Must mean something so my aunt and I queued.

We ended up with this box of yumminess. So worth the queue. The siew yok (NTD50) is melt-in-your-mouth goodness and the roasted duck drumstick (NTD50) below it is tender and juicy. The box costs us a total of NTD100, around SGD4.30. BARGAIN. Most of the people were locals and buying their lunch bento, so rice and veggies too.

And also, it is a must go destination again: Xi Men Ding.

Ah Zhong Mee Sua is the famous oyster noodles with a twist, pig intestines instead of oysters used. The queue is insane and so not worth it in my opinion. I much rather have the oyster meesua at Shihlin Taiwan stalls around Singapore.

Wu Shi Lan, the origin of KOI bubble tea of Singapore. I just had to try it. This is the stall at Xi Men Ding.

I was asked if I want big pearls or small ones. I went for both and not a regret. I LOVE BUBBLE TEA because of the 'bubbles'. And good bubbles at that. Wu Shi Lan makes them good. Just like Koi.

Headed to Gong Guan night market as well. Not as big as ShiDa and Shihlin...

But I am glad I went so I had these cream puffs. Big and small ones. Handmade fresh and you choose which flavour cream you want. Di Gua/sweet potato sold out so it must have been good. Taro was fragrant too.

The fried chicken and juicy mushrooms are also worth the wait. They have a branch in Xi Men Ding too.

Not only the two above food, Gong Guan gave me this stall. So worth the queue again.


Hot thin crispy outer layer with generous red bean filling and also a buttermilk one. Must try both. Good on a cold night. No, AWESOME on a cold night.




On a Sunday, we visited a local morning market in Shihlin after a visit to the National Palace Museum.


Wine grapes which originated in Japan. Taiwan has them too at a much lower price which had an almost on par taste. Quite like gummy grapes flavour but so much healthier.




Dou Jiang You Tiao.

Yong He, apparently good but I find the soy bean milk too sweet but the you tiao was not bad.

Roadside threading stalls. So quaint but not my thing.


The food part of Shihlin night market.




Jiantan Food Court near Shihlin Night market.

This is the best thing there in my opinion.

A non-stop longlonglonglong queue worth all the wait.

LOOK AT THAT! Yes, I also finished one by myself. I am such a pig.


A shot of our hotel again.




Photos credits: mayydiaries.blogspot.com


And alas, we have to fly home. Thankfully, a sweet ride with SIA. My trip has been pretty good but so tiring. Not for the elderly with all the shopping and walking but good for young 'uns. I rather do my shopping in Bangkok but I may return for another trip with friends in the future. Not a place I want to go over and over and over.


I took over 500 photos for my trip and had a really hard time narrowing down to these few. I hope you enjoy the photos! Do you think I missed anything in Taipei? Let me know so I will make sure to visit soon.

2 comments:

  1. More stories on your Taipei trip please ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Will do my best once I have looked through the photobank again! =)
    Thanks for reading the blog!

    Mayy xo

    ReplyDelete