Friday, February 18, 2011

M's Food Find #22

So speaking of Din Tai Fung in the previous post, I really dont have to food-find Din Tai Fung. Good xiao long baos, good fried rice, but I am NOT a fan of their la mian. So I hardly insist on dining there these days. Except when I have no choice because it is the easiest option around. Although I must add that one of my must orders when I dine there is their warm tofu with braised minced meat. Very small but I love it. I wish I have it here to go with my porridge. How do a girl go about preparing that? Hmmmmmm. And the cold cucumbers and cold chicken. Three entrees make me a happy girl.

Anyway I went to Resorts World Sentosa with Mummy the other day for the Valentino exhibition and given that we both weren't feeling too well, we decided to go for something light. As nothing came to our minds, we knew there was a Din Tai Fung around so we went in search for it. Turns out...

Photo credits: mayydiaries.blogspot.com
BAITS restaurant all the way at the end of the row past Candylicious, tucked away in the corner. We found out that's Din Tai Fung. Just with a spin because this outlet serves up two different menus, on usual menu you find everywhere else and the other for some Singapore and seafood fare. Smart move, DTF management. Play up to the tourist crowd.

The queue was also pretty long. We queued for it because we thought it was such a big place and the line would move fast. It did not. It was such a long wait, and the weather was insanely humid and there was no fans in the surrounding area. Madness. I mean, when we finally went in, there were so many empty tables! I don't understand why they kept us out there waiting. If it is a marketing strategy, it suckballs. Just for that, I don't think I would ever go back.

Having said that, Mum and I ordered the Assam Fish and Lady's Fingers to go with a bowl of chicken rice. Portions were not too big which is good. Chicken rice was pretty fragrant so that was a nice touch for me. I really prefer chicken rice to plain white rice. So to have that option, nice. Assam Fish was good too, I really liked the gravy but wished it was a bit more sour seeing how it is supposed to be assam. Their version had coconut milk so it was sort of like curry or laksa. The lady's fingers were sliced very thinly so when fried, it had that nice gooey touch.

I'm sorry there are no photos of the food because we were so very hungry. Service was not the best because Mum suspects it is due to lack of manpower. Which also led to them making us wait outside instead of letting us come in to sit. Food did arrive very fast though. They also have a couple of recommended dishes like champagne pork ribs etc which sold out when we ordered. Sad. But it is really nice that their dishes come i small portions. You can order more ;)

Till my next food find, Mayy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment