Thursday, February 10, 2011

M's Food Find #20part1

GET READY for a really photo intensive post. My most intensive so far!

This is in record of my recent experience with girlfriend Regina at the Four Seasons Hotel, One-Ninety restaurant. We decided to go for the appetisers and desserts buffet for our meet-up. First time I've done something crazy like that!

Part 1 of Food Find #20 is posting on the appetisers. See above photo for the spread! And read further for the breakdown...

Let's start with the cheese platter. Not an expert on cheeses, we both don't find this appealing but we tried. We did not go back for seconds. I went back for seconds for the dates and grapes, Regina likes the dried apricots.

Parma ham! I love parma ham, but this one is too salty. And not at all like the ones I had in Italy nor even the ones I have in the Italian restaurant outside my house. Abit disappointed...

First good thing in the spread: QUICHE. We both love it but afraid we ruined our tummy space for desserts, we shared one. The crust was not too thick and still crunchy. The cheese filling was moist and had flavour. Not tasteless like generic quiches you find in sub-standard cafes.

I don't eat beef, but Regina had it. It was so-so, nothing memorable.

My sister would have loved this. It was done well, can taste the smokey grill. Mushy on the inside.

We both did not go for it, so not our thing. Eggplant?!

For rabbits! in the year of rabbit! I like this one quite abit. The carrots were sweet and cooked through. Yet it was not overly mushy and retained its crunch. Sweet carrots always makes me happy, raw or cooked.

Some mushrooms thingy, NOT good. Sourish. There's some sort of beancurd in it too. I don't know, it doesn't look appetising nor taste good.

Vegetable parfait, looks beautiful and fresh. Taste-wise, we are both not a fan and we will stick to parfaits dessert-style next time.

Chiekn pate! I love love love foie gras and this may not be foie gras but it is still good. Spoon it on crackers and I am a happy girl. this pate was smooth and well made. No funny smells either!

This bowl of raw veggies look colourful, but the veggie sticks were slightly dehydrated. So not cool. But I had a couple to cleanse my palate. The tomato salsa dip it came with was really good!

I went for this because well, I like me some pig trotters. But we both don't like this cold version. We will be sticking to braised or fried. Sighs...

THE CROUTONS! I know, so not the star here. But we love it. Not too thick and burnt well. Crunch crunch. We dare you to try the hummus because we dare not.

Seafood terrine...looks cute. Tastes funky. I find it so weird eating the jelly which was flavourless and the seafood wasn't a good mix. So NOT up our alley.

Greek salad was a safe choice. They also had a salad bar where you can fix your own. Good to have some before you start on the desserts. ;)

This warm beef pie was not too warm. She likes the beef filling but not the corn custard. It looks a wee bit like sheperd's pie to me, if it is a version then replace corn custard with potatos thanks.

Photos credits: mayydiaries.blogspot.com (Regina!)
Last but not least, the roast duck and char siew platter. Not the best of either I have had but in this spread, they were ranking pretty high on our edible food list. The spread also had cold cha soba which was not too bad because we get to sprinkle all the sesame seeds we want. Add the duck and charsiew for a noodle soup lunch! ;)

Honestly, I thought it was not that good for the hotel of this calibre as well as the price we paid which was well over $40. Dessert buffet on its own will be $12++ which is highly recommended. Even if you only get an hour for it.

Now wait for part 2 - desserts!!!!!!

Till then, Mayy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment