Tuesday, February 1, 2011

M's Food Find #14

This food find is one of my never-fail places to go to whenever I am low on ideas. Especially in town and now, Bugis too. I never tire of Japanese food and I like that Itacho Sushi at ION Orchard (now Bugis and Plaza Singapura have outlets too) allows individual sushi orders. I can try as many kinds as possible or eat their other delightful dishes. It helps that their food comes in small portions and the prices reflect that. Keeps costs down for those who are small eaters!

However, the queues at peak hours are sometimes frustrating when you are so very hungry. I have endured quite a few but still manage to leave the place satisfied. Although Itacho has some popular dishes and limited daily, I often missed out on them as they are all sold out. It is quite disappointing...


It is Tamago series at Itacho so there are a few special dishes for a limited time. This post is done for my most recent Itacho trip which is also my first visit to the one at Bugis. It was my sister's and Mummy's first time eating at Itacho. Sis ordered the Curry Lobster Tamago. You can really taste the curry powder and the lobster ain't much since it is chopped up. The Tamago is sweet and makes for a good accompaniment to the curry flavour. But one's enough for me, I would prefer going for their sushi.

The above sushi are the Wagyu Beef (left side) and the Aburi Salmon (right side). They were Sis' orders as well. Wagyu beef sushi is abit pricey at $6 a pop, but according to Sis, AMAZING. She would go back there just to have it again and again. Aburi salmon was good to, juicy and fresh.
This one is a popular order, the sakura shrimp and cheese specialty/creative roll and comes in a pair. Nothing too special about the taste, but try it because the cheese is slightly torched and so, melted. Yummy. And the crunch of the sakura shrimp. Oh alright, it is special.

One of their limited dishes, the black pepper salmon belly. Sold out in ION most of the time I go during lunch, it was available in Bugis for dinner this time. In fact, all their special dishes were available at Bugis during dinner time. HINT! haha. This dish is fragrant and the salmon belly absorbs the flavour well.

The spicy salmon fish head is also a limited one. But our dish came with mostly bones and very little meat. Not that yummy and I've had it twice (both times disappointed), so you can skip it and your Itacho experience will not be shortchanged.

Same goes for this baked stuffed crab. It has still got that fishy seafoody raw taste and it definitely does not sit well. Leave this one, it probably tastes better in your imagination.

And finally, we end on a high note. The piece de resistance. Salmon with soy sauce sushi. It is cheap too, at 40cents a pop. But having gone to Itacho at ION countless of times, I only just managed to order it successfully the last time I went for lunch and we took the last 3. In Bugis, we ordered 7 to 8 pieces, even with re-order. No waiters coming back to tell me it is sold out! The raw onion is a good accompaniment to this salmon sushi. The soy sauce accented the aburi salmon and brings out the juicy fresh sweetness. I could have this everyday.
Try their cold soba too, I always order that. I also think the service at Bugis is better in large part to their lady manager, super aunty but it gives you that sort of nice and personal attention. Having said all that, better hop on down to Itacho Sushi soon! Definitely worth the wait and time. It's always money well spent there. ;)
Till my next food find, Mayy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment