Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kitchen Venture #4: Easy Pasta!

For students studying overseas, particularly those without cooking experience, I understand it is very daunting going through the supermarket shleves not knowing what to do. I mean, I experienced it firsthand myself. I didn't know what to eat. I was thoroughly lazy and when hungry, I want food ASAP.

I don't want to waste time in the kitchen preparing and cooking with my tummy growling. And when NOT hungry, I want to do other things and not spend time in the kitchen preparing for when my tummy is hungry. Food overseas is NOT cheap, so we cannot eat out all the time like in Singapore or Malaysia, mostly Asia.

I spent the early days of my overseas period eating microwave tv dinners. But too much of them really ain't too good for you. What I am recommending in this post is admittedly not very healthy but at least it does make things easier for you. You can also choose to add in healthier foods and make it your own version. All these recipes are just default and the basics anyway.


Photo credits: mayydiaries.blogspot.com
This pasta dish is REALLY SIMPLE. And can be done in matters of SECONDS. Perfect for exam periods and satisfying those mad cravings for junk food. Not using those packets of pasta you got to boil for ages, it is CANNED Pasta. Any kind will do, any type that catches your fancy. Normal tomato flavour, ham and cheese, cheese, meatballs etc! From Heinz to SPG or isit SPC? Haha.

What I did here was microwave it for 30seconds. Add chopped ham and cheese and microwave for anothe 10seconds. You can see the googey melted cheese! Slice cucumbers thrown in to balance out the junk. I ran out of tomatoes that day, otherwise there would be fresh round tomatoes slices too!

You don't have to microwave it too, you can pour it into a pan and stir it over the fire. Add tomato sauce if you want the tomato flavour. Throw it chopped tomatoes for a real punch. Cooked chicken pieces, chopped sausages, peas, broccoli (frozen so you can just microwave), anything!


Picture credits: www.checknsave.com
Munchables snack box!!! is my little sceret weapon in my fridge. It has crackers, ham slices and cheese slices with gummi sweets or mini m&m's depending on which colour you get. It is in the chilled section of the supermarket near the yogurt and cheeses. I can keep this box with its ham and cheese slices for a longer period of time. So with my dishes like this pasta one, I can chop the ham and cheese up almost anytime I want. The little sections divided also ensures I don't over-buy or over-eat.

Keep this in mind and stock up on these items in your pantry and fridge. You will never go hungry again during those dreaded exam periods or when you are just plain lazy...

Till my next kitchen venture, Mayy xo

twitter.com/mayyb

No comments:

Post a Comment