Monday, January 10, 2011

M's Food Find #4

It was Sunday, the day I look forward to because my family usually make it a point to do dinner together and go somewhere nice (or yummy). Daddy has been busy since my return home, so this was sort of our first Sunday night out. Finally got him to bring us to Yamamoto at MBS for dinner. I really wanted to try their food. More like Ramen and sushi, however we went for their Robata experience. Our usual Robata-yaki restaurant is Akanoya at Orchard Parade Hotel (but more on that next time). Today's post focus will be entirely on Yamamoto, and promises alot of photos!



Not as authentic as Akanoya, this Robata experience proved to be a very 'hotel' affair. Nice clean lines and colours. I like the mood lights inside the restaurant. The restaurant has the teppanyaki side, sushi bar, robata and ramen sides. We were greeted with smiles all round, and a personalized message on our reservation seats. A very very nice touch.

We ordered our first round of food from our friendly waitress Jennifer. Started with some sake for Dad and I. Appetiser was pretty mushy but I like the good pasta-ish sauce the eggplant is coated in. At least I think it was eggplant.


Sashimi of salmon belly and tuna arrived. It was not too bad but I much prefer my sashimi from Akashi (Orchard Parade Hotel) or Yamagawa (The Plaza). I also really like the concept of being able to choose my own sake cup from their collection. It's like having to choose candy! That's my blue sake cup right there. =)

The assorted mushroom and cheese platter arrived. Juicy mushrooms full of flavour, and we tricked mum into eating the goat's cheese. She doesn't like cheese. Haha.
Second dish was the assorted grilled vegetables which I loved due to the individual flavours each vegetable presented. And the colours delighted! I like watching Jennifer shave the black truffle onto the veggies. I scraped the flakes after... HAH.
Dad ordered the king crab leg, which came in an amazing fish stock. Too salty to be soup, but paired very well with the succulent crab meat. I didn't think a crab's leg could be this big, this meaty! Woah, and I hardly eat crab... I had two pieces of this...
I ordered the foie gras pate with YUZU perfume. I love love love it and am glad my family all were NOT huge fans of foie gras. I basically had 3-4 pieces of the perfectly grilled fragrant foie gras. Would have been such an indulgence if I could have it with my crackers everyday.
When we arrived at the restaurant, I noticed a Japanese family having their dinner at the other side of the robata grill, and engaged in an animated conversation with a very good looking chef. Now, this makes a good first impression (no, not the goodlooker) as it shows the Japs like it and they must come often for the kid to run around. Yamamoto has only been around for half a year! Anyway, this chef came over after my foie gras arrived and welcomed us with their house sake. Which was really really good, sweet and fragrant of rice. I like my sake strong too. However, it costs 870SGD for a bottle! hahaha.


Back to food! The back ribs arrived with grilled rice cake. I like the smoky grilled rice cake more than the ribs...
Dad and sis are the only ones who take beef in our family so here's their 1st beef order, came with 6 different sauces. They love it. Wanted 200gram but only had 100gram to share. Too bad. Reason to return perhaps?

That's round 1 for us. And went for round 2 of orders. We were already pretty full! Oh wells, not everyday I get this gastronomic experience. Sis ordered the hotate escargot. Lovely scallops. I like the green paste, really brought out the sweetness of the hotate.

What's a Japanese meal without salmon? So this grilled salmon was nicely done, except I thought their salmon skin could have been better. Too tough for me. I rather it crispy. Baby turnip was cute, but I don't particularly like it.
I really like my order of blowfish with the 3 assorted salts (cumin, wasabi and chilli). Never had blowfish before, but it's really just like well, fish. hahaa. But the texture was slightly different. I like it.

Dad and sis ordered the...erm, wagyu tongue. yeah. enough said. =/


And erm, a chef took out something to grill. Big and round. Huge. And we asked what it was...kinda wished I didn't. Tuna eyes. I had NO IDEA. Yucks.
Sis and I ordered a dessert each, but I say it's forgettable. So skip it and just be happy with the meal before. Or just drink sake eh? ;)

Till my next food find, Mayy xo
Photo credits above: mayydiaries.blogspot.com

If any of you want to use the photos in the blog, I really don't mind. Just credit them accordingly please =)))

P.S.twitter.com/mayyb

No comments:

Post a Comment